Usually our GP is the first point of contact when we are ill and seek medical advice.
They are often the front line of medical services, making assessments on a patient’s health problems, be these new or reoccurring, providing treatment and assessing whether a referral to a specialist service is necessary.
Whilst GPs provide an invaluable service they can sometimes make mistakes. Because of the important role played by GPs when errors are made the consequences of these can be devastating with a diagnosis being missed or a necessary referral delayed. This in turn can lead to patients suffering serious health problems.
The main ways in which we see medical negligence occurring in GP care are:
- Failure to make a home visit when the situation warrants this
- Failure to carry out a proper examination
- Failing to carry out appropriate investigations e.g. an x-ray or blood test
- Failing to promptly diagnose a particular illness or refer on for further investigations
- Failure to refer a patient on to a hospital for specialist treatment
- Referring a patient to the incorrect specialist at hospital
- Failure to notify a patient of a medical condition they have and that the GP is aware of
- Failure to prescribe or inappropriate prescription of drugs
We at Freemans have a wealth of experience in dealing with all types of Clinical Negligence claims. We understand that due to the often close relationship a patient has with their GP issues around care provided by a GP can be particularly upsetting. We also know that injuries resulting from failings in GP care can be wide ranging and have long lasting consequences. Using our knowledge and expertise we will ensure that your claim is investigated fully in a sensitive manner. We will work tirelessly to ensure you are not only compensated for the pain and losses caused by your injuries but that you also receive support and any further treatment and rehabilitation you may need.
If you think that you have suffered an injury or poor outcome as a result of failures in care by your GP then you may be entitled to compensation.
Please call one of our solicitors today on 0191 222 1030 for a free consultation in relation to your claim or complete our website enquiry form.