Never events are mistakes and medical errors which should never happen in medical treatment.
They are adverse events that are serious and largely preventable. If you have suffered injuries as a result of a never event it is extremely likely that you will be entitled to compensation for the injuries and losses you have suffered as a result of this event.
NHS England released a list of never events in 2015. These are set out below:
- Wrong site surgery
- Wrong implant/prosthesis
- Retained foreign object post-procedure
- Mis-selection of a strong potassium containing solution
- Wrong route administration of medication
- Overdose of Insulin due to abbreviations or incorrect device
- Overdose of methotrexate for non-cancer treatment
- Mis-selection of high strength midazolam during conscious sedation
- Falls from poorly restricted windows
- Chest or neck entrapment in bedrails
- Transfusion or transplantation of ABO-incompatible blood components or organs
- Misplaced nasogastric tubes
- Scalding of patients
Whilst thankfully such events are rare, over 100 of these occur each year in hospitals around the UK.
If you think that you or a family member may have suffered an injury as a result of a never event it is very likely that you will be entitled to compensation. You should also receive an apology from the Hospital Trust responsible and an investigation in to how this event occurred should be investigated.
We at Freemans have a wealth of experience in dealing with all types of Clinical Negligence claims. Please call one of our solicitors today on 0191 222 1030 for a free consultation in relation to your claim or complete our website enquiry form.