Orthopaedics focuses on injuries and diseases of the musculoskeletal system, in other words, your bones, joints, ligaments, tendons, muscles, and nerves.
Orthopaedic claims in medical negligence are relatively common. Wrongly treated or misdiagnosed orthopaedic injuries can have a devastating and life changing effect upon a patient resulting in disabilities requiring care, equipment aids, assistance with mobility and adaptations to housing.
We have extensive experience with all types of orthopaedic claims. Due to the wide range of treatments which are undertaken by orthopaedic specialists it is not possible to list all of the different types of cases which fall into this category however the main areas in which we see medical negligence in orthopaedic care are:
- Delay in diagnosing or misdiagnosis of an orthopaedic injury
- Incorrect or delayed treatment of an orthopaedic injury
- Substandard surgery to treat an orthopaedic injury
- Substandard post-operative orthopaedic care
- Unnecessary joint replacement surgery
- Substandard joint replacement surgery
The specific types of injury and orthopaedic problems where the above failings are commonly seen include:
- Lis franc fracture dislocations
- Tendon injuries
- Bunion and foot surgery
- Hand and wrist surgery including scaphoid fractures
- Joint replacements such as hip, knee, ankle and shoulder replacements
- Compartment syndrome
- Nerve injury and foot drop
- Osteomyelitis and wound infections
- Failure to diagnose and treat post-operative complications
- Failure to make appropriate referrals to physiotherapy and orthotics
We know that failings in orthopaedic care can cause profound and often life-long problems. Pain, disability, paralysis, scaring and the need further operations can all impact on every aspect of your life and cause psychological as well as physical damage.
We at Freemans have a wealth of experience in dealing with all types of Clinical Negligence claims and we will work tirelessly to ensure that not only is compensation secured for the pain and losses caused by the injuries suffered but that support and any further treatment and rehabilitation needed can be sought. In cases where liability is resolved, we seek interim payments at an early stage to facilitate this.
Please call one of our solicitors today on 0191 222 1030 for a free consultation in relation to your claim or complete our website enquiry form.