You visit A&E Department because you need urgent medical assistance. Whilst in the majority of cases an attendance at an A&E Department results in a quick diagnosis with patients being given the advice and treatment needed to make a good recovery there are occasions when things go wrong.
A hospital A&E Department is a high pressured environment where doctors and medical staff make life saving decisions sometimes in difficult situations. A&E departments are under increasing pressure to keep waiting times down and progress patients to admission or discharge quickly and as a result mistakes do happen, often with very serious, life changing consequences.
Typically we see people who have suffered injuries as a result of substandard A&E care in the following ways:
- Misdiagnosis – failures to investigate a patient’s symptoms properly resulting in a delay in arriving at the correct diagnosis and treatment
- Misinterpretation of x-ray images and scans meaning fractures and other internal injuries are missed
- Treatment errors which result in a patient’s condition becoming worse rather than better.
- Delays in treatment – speed is often essential with patients in A&E and delays in the correct treatment being provided can lead to a patient’s problems becoming worse.
- Failure to refer a patient on for necessary specialist care.
- Early/inappropriate discharge – where patients who require further monitoring or treatment are discharged from hospital too soon. This can cause their condition to become worse.
If you think that you have suffered an injury or poor outcome as a result of failures in your care in A&E then you may be entitled to compensation.
We at Freemans have a wealth of experience in dealing with all types of Clinical Negligence claims. We know that injuries resulting from failings in A&E care can have devastating and long lasting consequences on patients. Using our knowledge and expertise we will ensure that your claim is investigated fully in a sensitive manner. We will work tirelessly to ensure you are not only compensated for the pain and losses caused by your injuries but that you also receive support and any further treatment and rehabilitation you may need.
Please call one of our solicitors today on 0191 222 1030 for a free consultation in relation to your claim or complete our website enquiry form.